The Van der Merwe family of Merwida originated from the region of Dordrecht in the Netherlands, where their ancestors owned a castle next to the Merwede River. “Huis te Merwede”, also called Castle te Merwe, was a medieval castle and was built between 1307 and 1335. It is in fact one of the oldest castle ruins in the Netherlands with only a 14th century tower remaining.
It was in 1840 that Willem Petrus van der Merwe, forefather of owners Schalk and Pierre, laid down family roots in the fertile soils of the Breede River Valley. On 1 January 1963 Merwida Winery open its door and since then this ancient floodplain has been the home of the Merwida Vineyards.
7 Generation family Vintners and an impressive 6 family members involved at either the winery or the farms. Like the 6 generations before them, they are continuing to develop Merwida in a dynamic yet sustainable manner, laying a foundation of excellence and responsibility for generations to come.